Are you curious about nitrile gloves and their advantages? Wondering if nitrile gloves are truly latex-free? Look no further, as we delve into the world of nitrile gloves, their characteristics, and why Eagle Protect is your go-to source for top-quality safety products.
What is Nitrile?
Nitrile, also known as nitrile butadiene rubber (NBR), is a synthetic, latex-free rubber. This synthetic material is renowned for its similarity to latex, offering elasticity and strength without the allergenic proteins that can cause sensitivities or allergies in some individuals. The more nitrile within the polymer, the greater the protection from oils, but lower the flexibility.
When it comes to choosing gloves for specific applications, such as food handling and medical environments, nitrile gloves are highly recommended. However, not all nitrile gloves are created equal, and the quality can vary significantly. Here are essential factors to consider when purchasing nitrile gloves:
1. Reduced Cross-contamination Risk
- Eagle’s Sensitive nitrile gloves reduce the risk of cross-contamination, simply because of their unique surface characteristics due to high-quality manufacturing and are better suited for those with sensitive skin
- Higher-quality nitrile gloves rip/tear less frequently (read more).
- AQL (number of pinhole defects per box) effects safety. Unlike the medical industries, there are no AQL requirements for foodservice gloves, meaning there are no guidelines for the number of failures per box. Choosing a nitrile glove that exceeds medical-grade standards provides superior protection.
2. Glove Quality
- Gloves made in dirty factories can be contaminated with bacteria before you even use them.
- Cheap gloves can contain fillers like chalk or silica to reduce the cost of manufacturing. These can be toxic to the wearer, and reduce glove strength and flexibility making them more prone to tearing. Watch our quick & easy video on the best trick to estimate the quality of your own disposable gloves.
3. Worker Safety
- Poor-fitting gloves can cause hand injuries.
- Low-quality materials can contain toxic compounds which can induce skin disease.
- Disposable glove manufacturing has been identified as a high-risk industry for labour abuse. Eagle Protect gloves are produced in ethically sourced factories.
Are Nitrile Gloves Latex-free?
The short answer: Yes, nitrile gloves are latex-free. They are also free from BPA and phthalates. However, some nitrile gloves may contain accelerator chemicals, which can lead to allergies in a small percentage of users. To reduce manufacturing costs, many nitrile gloves include additives and chemical fillers in their raw materials, potentially causing allergies.
Eagle Sensitive nitrile gloves are manufactured without accelerator chemicals, further minimising the allergy risk. So, while nitrile gloves are indeed latex-free, the presence of accelerator chemicals in some products can make this question more nuanced.
The Advantages of Nitrile Glove
Nitrile is the superior material for today's disposable gloves, especially across the food industry where they are the the most cost-effective choice for food safety gloves. Nitrile offers high resistance to oil, fuel, and other chemicals, surpassing the performance of latex gloves. Recent advancements in nitrile glove formulation have narrowed the gap between quality nitrile and latex, resulting in highly tactile, tough, and flexible nitrile gloves with minimal allergy rates.
This new technology also means quality nitriles gloves can be manufactured thinner while retaining maximum strength and durability. For example, Eagle FineTOUGH nitrile gloves are thinner but equally strong, which also allows more gloves to fit in a single box and reducing waste. This not only saves space but also promotes responsible environmental practices.
Creating a Better Standard
Our commitment to safety and ethical practices led us to establish high-quality industry standards for our supply chain. We conduct rigorous audits on our suppliers to ensure they meet SMETA and our Eagle Supplier Code of Conduct, as well as other independent assessments. This comprehensive approach assesses the environmental and social impacts of production. As the world's only B Corp certified supplier of disposable gloves and clothing, Eagle Protect is recognized as a force for good in the industry. We're proud to be New Zealand's first B Corp Certified business. These extra steps reflects our dedication to responsible and sustainable sourcing.
Our nitrile gloves exceed examination grade AQL requirements, providing superior protection against bacteria and viruses. We prioritise high-quality ingredients and manufacturing processes to deliver top-tier barrier protection for your workers and your products.
To learn more about the benefits of nitrile gloves and to protect your business from the risks associated with poor-quality disposable gloves and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), reach out to one of our experts today. Your safety is our priority, and we're here to help you make the right choices for your business and employees.