We are incredibly proud to announce that in late 2016, The Eagle Group successfully re-certified as a B Corporation for a third consecutive 2-year term. We have maintained our score and have been third-party verified as meeting rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability and transparency. Eagle Protect (known as Eagle Consumables back then) was the first to certify in New Zealand as a founding B Corp in the class of 2012, Eagle Protect PBC was the first New Zealand company to be incorporated as a Benefit Corporation in the US, and we are equally proud to have earned recertification again in 2016. We are the world's only disposable glove specialist that is a Certified B Corporation.
The B Impact Assessment, powered by the non-profit B Lab assesses company impact in areas around governance, workers, community and the environment. Rigorous documentation reviews and in-depth questions in these areas must be successfully completed in order to reach the benchmark of 80 out of 200 points for certification. With a new version of the B Impact Assessment released every two years, this is a living document that undergoes regular review and refinement. This is where there is such strength in the certification framework and Eagle welcomes the challenge of continuing to seek improvement in all areas of operations.
You can read our latest impact report here.
Here are some of the improvements and challenges we face as we gain B Corp certification for another term:
- We have increased our community work and volunteerism – in the reporting period we donated over 144 hours of community service of the team and individual volunteering. Our challenge now is to more clearly define our community giving so we can maximise our positive impact.
- We have reviewed the realities of having some staff who work remotely from home offices and created new policies to guide best practice around waste reduction and local purchasing of office supplies.
- We continue to maintain high levels of employee engagement which we measure through annual surveys. We seek to encourage even more staff to pursue further professional development in the next two years.
- Our retention rate is currently an average of 5 years and our team enjoy a wide range of benefits that support us to grow as individuals. This, in turn, creates positive ripples that reach beyond the company itself.
- We are continuing to seek ways to reduce the impact of our product on the environment. This is an ongoing challenge for us and we are making headway in this area through education on correct choice, use and disposal methods for our products. We are also working on three distinct recycling projects, one in New Zealand and two in the US.
- A Sustainability Report is now published every year as we fine-tune our reporting transparency beyond simply publishing our impact report on our website.
As we leave behind a year which saw tumultuous change around the world in politics, humanitarian and environmental issues, we remain committed to the values behind the B Corporation movement that hold at its core the belief that business really can be a force for good for all involved. We believe it is our responsibility to continue to lead with intent, and show that the combination of business and purpose is not only possible, it is necessary. While it may feel that we can do little to effect change on a large scale to address some of the wider issues facing us, we can start with where we are, and use our business and our values to make a real positive change to all those in contact with Eagle in some way.
We are proud to be part of a growing community of over 2000 certified B Corps around the world, from over 130 countries and 50 industries. To learn more and register to take the free B Impact Assessment, visit www.bcorporation.net.